Reduce the need for manually creating cases from incoming emails and increase the efficiency of agents by creating automatic case creation rules.
- To set up an email to automatically create a case, you will first have to add the email to a queue.
- Once added to a queue it will need to be approved by an Office Global Administrator.
To get to this point, follow these steps.
- Open an existing queue, or create a new Queue.
- On the Queue record, enter the appropriate support email address in the Incoming email field
- For the Convert Incoming Email to Activities, you can chose from the following options:
Once the email has been approved by a Global Administrator, all emails that come into this email address will be converted into an activity. To have them convert to cases, complete the following tasks.
- Go to Record Creation and Update Rules. (Advanced Settings > Settings > Service Management > Automatic Record Creation and Update Rules)
- Click on the +New to create a new rule.
- Complete the Name, Source Type (Email) and Queue.
- Set Email conditions from the Specify Conditions for Record Creations tab.
- Select the Email template to Respond to Customers.
If the source type for the rule is set to Email, specify the conditions for converting the email to the target record.
- Create records for email from unknown senders. If you select this check box, all email messages from unknown senders (a sender whose email address isn’t present in any records) are converted to new records (based on the conditions you define). A contact record is also created for this unknown sender.
- Create case if a valid entitlement exists for the customer. If you select this check box, the Common Data Service platform creates a case only if an active entitlement exists for the customer.
If the sender of the email is a contact with a parent account, the Common Data Service platform creates a record if the contact’s parent account has a valid entitlement, and the contact is listed in the Contacts section of the entitlement or if the Contacts section is empty (which means the entitlement is applicable to all contacts for the customer).
- Create cases for activities associated with a resolved case. If you select this check box, the Common Data Service platform creates a case if the email is related to a resolved case. If the email is related to an active case, a new case won’t be created.
- Create case when the case associated with the activity is resolved. If you select the Create cases for activities associated with a resolved case check box, you can select the duration here. The Common Data Service platform creates a case only if the case is resolved earlier than the duration you specify. If the incoming email is related to a case resolved later than the specified duration, the Common Data Service platform only associates the incoming email with the existing resolved case; a new case won’t be created.
- Send automatic email response to customer on record creation. Select this check box if you want to automatically send email responses to the sender of the email after a target record for the email is created.
- Select email template to respond to customer. If you select the Send automatic email response to customer on record creation check box, select an email template (global email template or email template of any entity type). If you don’t select a template, an automatic response won’t be sent.
In the Specify Record Creation and Update Details section, select + to define the conditions for creating or updating a record and specify the properties of the record.
- In the Name box, enter a meaningful name for the rule item.
- In the Conditions section, select the record, channel properties, fields, and relational query operators to specify when a target record should be created or updated.
- Add steps to create or update records for the incoming activity that matches the conditions you defined earlier.
a. Under Actions, select Add Step > Create record.
b. In the Create box, select the record type for the record you want to create from the incoming activity. For example, if you want to create a case from the social activity, select Case.
- Now, Click on Save and Exit.
- Go to the Queue associated with the email address, and add the Record Creation Rule to the Queue.
- Click on the ellipses to add new, you can then search for your newly created rule to add it.
Now customer emails to the support email inbox will automatically create a case record and move the queue specified in the routing rules.